The Governor's Executive Internship
Now Accepting Applications for Spring 2021 Internships!
The Governor’s Executive Internship program works with diverse and talented students and growing professionals to develop their skill sets and expand their understanding of state government, its institutions, and functions. Interested applicants of all backgrounds and experiences are encouraged to learn more about the program and the application process below.
At this time we are monitoring the public health situation, and while we hope to have some in person work in the Capitol for our interns, that will all depend on the public health landscape at the time, as we want to prioritize our staff and intern's safety.
The Governor’s Executive Internship is intended to provide:
- Exposure to the operations and day-to-day tasks of the Governor’s Office
- Experiential learning and assignments that reflect methods in how the office strives for government to be more effective, efficient and elegant
- A framework to enhance educational experience through practical work and research, thereby developing skills useful for career development
- Professional development opportunities and relational network building
Requirements for participation:
- Commitment to consistent weekly hours based on individual schedules
- Minimum 16hrs/week for 15 weeks, during the hours of 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday.
- Excellent writing, communication, and proofreading skills
- Strong individual initiative/work ethic
- Interest in public service
- Ability to responsibly handle and participate in confidential work
- Strong commitment to good government and nonpartisanship
- Flexibility and drive to work remotely if required
The Governor's Office embraces diversity and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, national or ethnic origin, religious affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, age, or physical ability. The Governor's Office and the State of Colorado are equal opportunity employers.
Spring 2021 Internships
WHAT: We are accepting applications for internships during Spring 2021.
WHEN: A required intern orientation for Spring 2021 will take place on January 4, 2021. Our orientation will be held remotely. The internship will go through mid-May to early June.
DEADLINE: The deadline to apply is November 30, 2020 at 8pm.
HOW TO APPLY:
Submit a complete (1) internship application, (2) brief cover letter, (3) one page resume, and (4) one page writing sample responding to specific prompts, as one PDF file, to email@example.com.
Writing sample prompts:
Option One: Sara is a fourth-grade student from Grand Junction. She has written Governor Polis to share her concerns on climate change and her support for ensuring that more Coloradans can access public transportation. Please draft a one-page response letter to Sara on behalf of Governor Polis
Option Two: Jack Smith was accepted into the, a bipartisan leadership program endorsed by Governor Polis and delivered in partnership by CU Denver’s School of Public Affairs. Please write a one-page letter congratulating Jack Smith on his acceptance into the Governor’s Fellowship Program.
Please contact Gov_ExecutiveInternship@state.co.us with any questions.